Emergency Pediatric Care in Houston
24/7 Medical Treatment for Children with No Wait
At Sacred Heart ER, our emergency pediatricians specialize in treating young people who experience sudden injuries or illnesses in our pediatric-specific suites. Parents typically are unprepared when their children have an ailment that lands their child in the ER, but we can help get your child well as quickly as possible.
Our doctors diagnose and treat all types of conditions in infants, children, and adolescents, even patients who are too young to communicate what’s wrong or what hurts. Some patients may even fear being in an emergency department or are uncooperative, which is understandable, and our team is compassionate and here to help soothe your child’s nerves and help them on the path to healing.
Should I Take My Child to the Emergency Room?
If you’re questioning whether your child should go to the emergency room, the answer is most likely “yes.” Symptoms of a serious medical problem include:
- Sudden, unusual behavioral changes
- Complaints of severe pain
- Allergic reactions
- Loss of alertness/consciousness
- Rhythmic jerking
- Breathing difficulties
- Turning yellow or blue
- High fever
- Head trauma
- Ingesting something toxic
- Chronic illness complications
- Open wounds or lacerations
- Foreign objects needing to be removed
- Animal bites or insect stings
- Severe injury accidents
- Electric shocks
Benefits of Bringing Your Child to Our Houston Pediatric Emergency Room
Bringing your child to an emergency room that specializes in pediatric care can have several benefits, including:
- Specialized training and expertise: Emergency room doctors and nurses who offer pediatric care have specialized training and experience in treating children with a variety of medical conditions. This means that they are better equipped to handle the unique needs of pediatric patients.
- Child-specific medical equipment: Pediatric emergency rooms are equipped with specialized medical equipment that is specifically designed for children, such as pediatric-sized IVs and blood pressure cuffs.
- Availability of child-specific medications: Pediatric emergency rooms have a variety of medications that are specifically designed for children, which can be important in providing safe and effective care.
- Collaborative approach: Pediatric emergency rooms often work closely with other specialists, such as pediatricians, pediatric surgeons, and child life specialists, to provide coordinated and comprehensive care for pediatric patients.
Overall, bringing your child to our Houston pediatric emergency room that specializes in care for children can help to ensure that they receive the best possible care.
Preparing for the ER
While nobody can be 100% prepared for an emergency, it’s a good idea to have a handy list of your child’s medication and medical history in case one happens to occur. Remember to bring your health insurance card and emergency contact information. Be your child’s advocate and speak up when you have any questions or concerns, especially regarding ER aftercare. Once you go home from the ER, make sure to call your child’s regular pediatrician for follow-up care.