Many Houstonians are staying home and following social distancing guidelines during the Covid-19 pandemic. Staying home may prevent you from getting the coronavirus, but it may not prevent other illnesses or injuries from occurring. Is it safe to go to the emergency room when these occur? At Sacred Heart Emergency Center we are taking all the required measures to promote safe environments for care for you and your loved ones.
What types of precautions is Sacred Heart ER taking during the pandemic?
Like many other healthcare facilities, Sacred Heart Emergency Center is following all recommendations put in place by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), including:
- Performing extra cleanings of waiting rooms, exam rooms, and other common areas
- Testing potential coronavirus patients via a curbside service versus having them enter the urgent care center
- Having physicians and other medical staff wear personal protective equipment (PPEs) and encouraging patients to also wear masks and gloves
- Limiting the amount of visitors accompanying patients during their exam
- Following strict hand-washing procedures or using hand sanitizer when hand washing isn’t an option
- Encouraging social distancing measures in the waiting room and other common areas
What can I do as a patient prior to my visit to Sacred Heart ER?
There are steps that patients should take to limit their exposure to the coronavirus and also to protect others from potential exposure. These steps include:
- Wearing a mask and gloves while inside (these will be provided to you by our staff)
- Informing the medical staff of any potential coronavirus symptoms, such as persistent cough or high fever, prior to your appointment
- Going alone to the visit or limiting the number of people you bring with you to the visit
- Practicing social distancing while inside by maintaining a 6 foot distance between you and others whenever possible
- Washing your hands or using hand sanitizer prior to entering and any time you cough or sneeze
The health and safety of patients is of utmost importance for all health care providers during this challenging time. Sacred Heart Emergency Center will continue to follow the guidance and protocols set forth by the CDC in regards to the Covid-19 pandemic and keeping patients safe at all times.